I was excited to receive an invitation three days in advance of this reception on Monday 20th May and wondered with intrigue as to what the "ESA Astronaut announcement" would be. I leapt out of bed on the Sunday morning when the news broke on Twitter that Tim had been assigned to a five month mission in 2015, as by my previous calculations and hearsay on various forums, I had thought 2016 was the earliest he could hope for. A few hours later I had verified the content of the embargoed press release - Tim really was assigned to the November 2015 launch!
![]() |
| Thomas Reiter, David Willetts, Tim Peake and David Parker © Max Alexander 2013 Max Alexander/UK Space Agency |
We were delighted to join the event at the House of Commons, with Maggie Lieu, Richard Painter, Alex Dawn and Tom Nordheim of UKSEDS and myself and Abigail Calzada Diaz of SGAC in attendance.
![]() |
| Alex Dawn, Alistair Scott, David Willetts, Maggie Lieu, Jane MacArthur |
Tim will be relocating to Houston for training with his crewmates, and despite several years of training already, there is still more to learn, particularly with grappling the SpaceX Dragon during docking to the ISS and possibly Orbital Science's Cygnus by 2015. It is too far ahead to have any idea as to whether he may do an EVA while on station, but all astronauts remain trained and prepared for this eventuality.
BIS President Alistair Scott looks forward to Tim Peake being the first BIS member in space!


No comments:
Post a Comment